Workshop — 18 Nov 2020
Location: Online — 9:30-13:00
“Generative design approach works in imitation of Nature, performing ideas as codes, able to generate endless variations “ — Celestino Soddu
“Generative design is not about designing the building – Its’ about designing the system that builds a building.” – Lars Hesellgren
“Generative design is a design method where the output – image, sound, architectural models, animation – is generated by a set of rules or an Algorithm, normally by using a computer program.” - Wikipedia
This workshop shows the idea and tactics of generative design. The principle itself can be used in a variety of tools. We will use the in-house developed - and well fit - tool NodeBox Live to find out the fundamentals.
- Get a brief history and background of generative design.
- Learn about the basics of NodeBox Live: network, nodes, ports, parameters ..
- Learn about some basic functionality: we will focus on the functions needed for GD.
- Create a few simple examples that explain the prinicple and shows the power of it.
- Learn how to embed your NodeBox project into your own webpage.
- NodeBox is free to experiment with. Go ahead and create your account.
We’ll make several networks that have endless variety as outcome.
- Go to the library or buy a copy of Flake’s Computational Beauty of Nature: Computer Explorations of Fractals, Chaos, Complex Systems, and Adaptation or Maeda’s Design by Numbers.
- NodeBox is also well equiped for other design approaches. Have a look at more examples in the tutorial section.
- Generative Design is applicable in a lot of contexts. Fusion 360, an 3d modeling and engineering tool also implemented it